The Teare name originates from the Isle of Man and is contracted from the Manx gaelic, Mac-y-teyir, ‘son of the craftsman or carpenter’. The Teare name was first recorded in 1599, with variants Tear, Teere, Terre in 1611.
Teare place names – Isle of Man
Alfred Teare Close Douglas Ballateare Jurby
Ballateare’s Meadow Ballaugh Close mc Y Teare Patrick
Teare’s Bridge Patrick Freddie Teare’s Steps Peel
(adapted from Manx Surnames)
Teare place names – International
Teare Mountain: 2187mtrs is in British Columbia between Holmes & McKale Rivers, NE of McBride
Teare Creek: is in British Columbia Williston Lake 56°17′ North, 124°26′ West
Teare Road: is in Moscow Idaho
Teare – the famous and infamous
- Billy Teare, an Irish storyteller.
- Donald Teare, (1911-1979), British pathologist.
- Eddie Teare, (born 1948), Manx, Minister of the Treasury and member of the House of Keys for Ayre.
- Ethel Teare, (1894-1959), American, a silent film actress.
- Keith Teare, (born 1954), Internet entrepreneur.
- Kevin Teare, (born 1951), American, an artist.
- Christine Teare, Manx, soprano (http://www.christinetearesoprano.co.uk)
- Anthony Teare, in 1992 the last person on the Isle of Man to be sentenced to death , appealed and then a retrial resulted in a sentence of life imprisonment